Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Banana Bread

At least once a month we make banana bread or muffins. The kids ask for them all the time, so it's a given that we almost always have bananas of varying brownness on the counter or in the fridge. Since today the kids didn't have school, we decided to make up a loaf.

They measured, smashed, mixed and poured. Ammon picked the smallest measuring cup to use, so he got lots of turns to add ingredients into the bowl. Corrine was the expert mixer, and gave up adding ingredients for mixing.

After the bread was in the oven, I asked them what we do next. They thought "wait for it to cook"-I thought "wash the dishes." Simeon & Corrine both JUMPED at the chance to wash the dishes.

They ended up washing all of the dishes we got dirty and all the others on the counter. As they were finishing up I heard them yell, "It's spraying all over!" I ran in to find that they had somehow unscrewed the end of the faucet, and water was spraying all over from the loose piece. So they also mopped the kitchen floor!

(Side note-lastnight Ammon dumped part of a pitcher full of water-so Johann mopped the floor lastnight too. I think I'll have them spill water on the floor everyday!)

Tonight after reading our scriptures the boys got to taste the bread. Corrine was in the midst of a royal tantrum and didn't get to taste it tonight. She's already told me "I get 2 pieces in the morning!!"

If you look closely you can see the bites that Ammon took before I snapped the picture. It was really good, and won't last through the day tomorrow.

Here's the recipe that we use
1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 egg
1 cup mashed bananas (3-4 medium bananas)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)

Smash bananas, mix in egg, oil and sugar. In another bowl mix dry ingredients. Add dry to wet, mix just until flour is mixed in. Pour into loaf pan. Bake 50-55 minutes @ 350.

4 comments:

Janessa said...

What a fun rainy-day-and-no-school activity. Nice that your dishes and floor got cleaned too. What good little workers. If I make banana bread will they wash my dishes too? Glad to know I'm not the only one with a five year old that throws royal tantrums:)

www.gallamorewest.com said...

How fun!! What good helpers you have! And I might just try that trick to get the floors cleaned :) Your recipe is a good one :) I just tried a new recipe for a banana chocolate chip loaf that is amazing!!! If you want the recipe, go to the sidebar on my blog and click on the good things catered picture. She makes THE BEST of everything... I'm addicted to her recipes!!

The Jenson's said...

Wait they actually jumped at the chance to do the dishes and then they moped the floor. I don't think i was ever like that as a kid and i helped my mom bake since i could lift a spoon! Such good little helpers. I love Ammon's face in the first picture it looks like he is concentrating hard to mix it all together!

Shawn and Amy said...

Yum! What a perfect combination--snacks AND a clean kitchen! Can't wait to try your recipe