Saturday, July 4, 2009

A Birth Story


Thursday the 2nd I went to see my OB. She checked me said I was between 4-5cm dilated. I was set up to induced on Weds the 8th, IF I made it that far. She told me that if I started to have contractions to come in sooner rather then later since I tend to have fast labors and I was already halfway there.
Friday evening we went out to Kent Park (with bags packed) for the ward campout. While we were there I was really hot as it had gotten warmer and more humid throughout the day. I was having a few contractions, but nothing that we needed to start counting.
We left about 9:00pm and on the drive home I had another handful of contractions, getting a little stronger. We got home, put the kids to bed and went downstairs to watch the news. About 10:30 I started noticing that the contractions were getting stronger and more regular. I was getting uncomfortable with each one. About midnight I went to the bathroom then came back to the couch and my water broke. It wasn't a huge amount, but I was sure what it was.
We called Grandma Smith and got up to the hospital a little before 1 am.
They hocked me up to the monitors and said they'd check back in on us in a little while. They walked out and I had another gush of fluid.


The decided that I was indeed in labor (I think I walked in to easily to make them think I was in true labor. I do really well with pain until the transition phase.)
I got into the jetted tub, which helped me to relax, but after 30 mins in the tub the contractions were getting really strong and starting to hurt more.
At 3am after feeling like things had stalled for an hour or so they figured out that my water needed to be broke. My water had broke hours earlier-so why did it need to be broken? They guess that it broke on the side of her head and as she moved down it created another "pocket" of water that was keeping me from progressing.
My dtr came in broke my water and the contractions got really tough. I had debated about an epidural, but kept thinking I could do it without one, but nearly broke down and got one. Having my dtr come in and see me gave me a burst of "I can do this".
After about 30 minutes our little girl was making an entrance into the world without dtrs or nurses being in the room. The ran in, got gowned up and literally just caught her.


2 comments:

Janessa said...

Thanks for sharing your story. It's always fun to hear birth stories. Sounds like everything went so smoothly. Yay! I am so impressed that you didn't have an epidural. What a woman!

www.gallamorewest.com said...

I'm just now catching up on blogs... she is so cute!! And you looked so little right before you had her... I'm impressed!