Saturday, November 19, 2011

Girls on The Run is SO Much Fun

Today was our final run for Girls on The Run. We meet our team at the Tennis Building @ 8:30 this morning. We did some hanging out, then we stretched and walked over as a big group to the starting line.
There were over 250 girls and running buddies in pink GOTR shirts. It truly was a sea of pink at the starting line.
There were so many people at the starting line that we didn't even hear them start the race, we just saw everyone start so we followed.
The run was at the Ashton Cross Country course at the University of Iowa. It's a natural course with grass and dirt. The course was fairly easy with only a few small hills.
We started towards the back of the group, but we started passing others right away. Corrine is such a fast runner but she stayed with me the entire time even though she could have left me in the dust. This run was hard for me because I'd been sick with a cold for the last 10 days and hadn't been able to excerise much the past week and my right ankle was hurting with every step. I kept asking Corrine if she wanted to run faster without me, but she kept saying that she'd stay with me.
We crossed the finish line at 34:23, slower then I was hoping we would get, but still pretty fast for me being sick this week.
Corrine was given a medal as she finished. Once all of our girls finished running, we walked back to the Tennis building for some snacks and pictures.
This was such a fun experience that we are excited to do again this spring. We told the kids that we'll start training as a family in the spring to run a 5K together. I did fun runs/walks as a kid and I remember them being so much fun.

No comments: