Saturday, November 5, 2011

Run for Relief

This morning Corrine ran our 1st official 5K at Lower City Park with Run for Relief. The race was put on by City High's cross country team. All the money raised was given to Joplin Highschool to help rebuild their highschool that was destroyed by a tornado earlier this year.

When we left our house it was sunny and cool and we could see clouds coming. By the time we got to the park it was cloudy and windy and COLD! After we checked in Johann ran home to get warmer clothes and gloves for everyone.

There were around 100 runners in the race. At the starting line there were 2 dogs behind us that made Corrine uncomfortable and she struggled for the 1st quarter mile worried they would come near her.
After the 1st quarter mile she settled down as the dogs got further behind us.


At mile marker 1 we had a pace of 9 minutes and I was working hard, but she was still comfortable. A few City High cross country runners ran by right then and asked her how old she was. She told them and then kept running with them. From them on she ran ahead of me. She was able to keep her pace the entire time.

The final results from the race were:
Corrine #48 29:15.4 Pace 9:26.3
Kari #56 30:05.2 Pace 9:42.3



She was 21st in her age group (18 and younger).
I was 4th in my age group (30-39).

It's so fun to watch Corrine run and to see how much she loves it. She has such a natural talent for running. She's already talking about running cross country in Junior High.

It was such a fun run and it made me want to do more!! I'm so excited that Corrine wanted me to be her running buddy for Girls on the Run. It helped give me that kick I needed to start running again. It's been hard to start running after 13 years of not running, but it's been so worth it!
This race gave the boys the running bug, so we've talked about training as a family this spring to do a 5K together. I remember lots of walks/runs I did as a family when I was a kid. I'm excited to do a walk/run with our whole family!!

No comments: