Friday, April 1, 2011

Gotcha!!

I've never been much in to April Fools Day. Usually I think about it the day of and don't have time to do anything. This year was different-I planned ahead. I'd been looking at some different ideas and found what I wanted to do.

It started in the morning. The kids got up and Ammon asked for a drink. I said sure and went and got 6 six drinks from the fridge and put them on the table.


Simeon took a big stuck on his straw and said it wouldn't come out. He said "My straw must be clogged." Then Ammon did the same thing and he couldn't get anything. By then I was smiling and Simeon caught on that I had gotten them. Ammon pulled his straw out and found out the trick. I made red jello, put it in their cups with a straw. It looked just like the fruit punch crystal light we had in the pitcher!!

Then came dinner.

Spaghetti and meatballs. I first saw this idea on my sister Laurie's blog (Gallamore West) and then this year it's popping up on all sorts of blogs. The meatball is a Ferrero Rocher hazelnut ball dipped in raspberry sauce. I didn't have any white chocolate to shave for the Parmesan cheese, so I used some vanilla astronaut ice cream I had in the cupboard.




Next we had peas and carrots. The peas are runts and the carrots are orange starburst cut into 4 pieces.



Since Rebecca had a tummy ache today we also had some nice and easy to eat mashed potatoes and gravy with butter on top. The gravy is caramel sauce and the butter is a yellow starburst flattened.




When I brought the food to the table the kids just looked at it. Then after a few seconds they said "Is this really dinner?" Then they studied it some more.
Corrine was the 1st to realize that the peas and carrots were on top of cupcakes, then they all figured it out.

Simeon so sweetly said "Mom, is there any real food to eat. I'm starving, we can have these for dessert."

I guess I'm going to have to work harder to trick them next year. I've already seen some good ideas I just may have to use!!

I saw an idea for popcorn cupcakes but didn't have time to get to those. I'll save those for Simeon's movie party.

2 comments:

The Jenson's said...

They all looks GREAT. I'm suprised they didn't want to just dig into the cupcakes for dinner.
I'm guessing you have the same book as I do. I've been wanting to do all those creative cupcakes, but just haven't really had a reason or kids that are big enough to get it yet.

Michelle said...

All the food looks wonderful. Great tricks.

I took Oreos, scraped out the frosting and filled them with white toothpaste. I tricked everyone except for Daniel.