Tuesday, September 11, 2012

1st day of Preschool

Rebecca has been ready for preschool for almost 2 years now! She's watched her big siblings pack their backpacks and lunches and go to school for so long that she was so super EXCITED to start preschool.

When I asked her if she wanted to make a sign and take some pictures with it, she instantly said "YES. I'll stand right here." And walked to the exact spot that I took the other kids picture at on the 1st day of school. She is so excited to be like "the big kids"!


Our preschool group is made up of 5 kids from our church. They are 3 or turning 3 soon. Rebecca is the 2nd oldest, but the smallest of the group. (Not super surprising since she is at the 3% for her size.)
We were the 1st to take a turn teaching. Our theme was "Getting to know each other."
I planned everything around the book Chica Chica Boom Boom, and used the phrase "will there be enough room?" Of course there is enough room for all our friends at preschool!


We made Palm Trees for snack with green apples, graham crackers, purple grapes and alphabet cereal. The kids had a fun time playing with their food and then eating it.
For our craft we made Chica Chica Boom Boom Trees. I used the Cricut to cut out the leaf shapes, and punched out each of the friends face for each child. The tree trunk was already glued down and the kids were given a glue stick and asked to make their tree. I gave no direction of how to place the leaves and faces. I did help put glue on the pieces if they needed it. Each came out so different and fun. Some had everything-leaves and faces on just the trunk, others were all over the page.
I have gotten into clothes pins lately. They are so great for learning activities and they work on fine motor skills. I made each of the kids their own clothespin name game. Under each clothespin I also wrote the letters in their names so they could match them up. Rebecca LOVES doing clothes pin activities and having her picture on this one, was a real big WOW factor for her!
A few weeks ago I found a Purple Cow laminator at Costco (which I love and go to every week since it opened 20 mins from our house.) and I finally broke it in the morning making the letters for our BIG Chica Chica Boom Boom Tree. I had visions of going through each letter slowly, but the kids just wanted to get the letters on the tree as fast as they could.

I had told the other moms at preschool that I have been dreaming of my own laminator for years and was beyond excited to have one of my very own. And for $20 with 100 laminating pouches I couldn't pass it up!

We also went outside and painted with water and drew with chalk. I made each of the kids their own hopscotch with their names. The kids were more interested in painting off each others chalks names with the water then jumping on their hopscotches!

Rebecca had such a fun time at preschool with her friends and is already asking when she gets to go again. This little girl is a sponge lately and it's been so fun to see her learn and grow.

No comments: