Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A day out with Ammon & Rebecca

Today I just had Ammon & Rebecca. Simeon is at camp and Corrine is spending the day with Grandma Smith. So the 3 of us headed to the Quad Cities to play at some of our favorite spots there-the Family Museum and The John Deere Pavilion.
The outdoor area of the museum was the hit of the day, besides the goop Rebecca played in for 20 minutes before we convinced her to go somewhere else.
During the summer they have different activities throughout the museum. Today they had bubbles outside. Both the kids were having a great time playing with them. Ammon somehow lost his footing and ended up sitting in the container of bubbles. We laughed about it saying that I wouldn't need to put any laundry detergent in the wash today!! He thought that was funny.



Then we went over to the water area. This is by far the funnest thing for the kids to do. Endless water for them to fill, pour, dump, and splash in. Rebecca got her pants soaked, so off they went to dry while she played some more.



We then headed over the bridge to Illinois to play on the tractors. Theses tractors hold the kids attention for a long time. They are HUGE and full of gadgets to touch, steering wheels to drive, seat belts to buckle, tires to climb in, and tractors to walk under. If Ammon loves playing here, then Rebecca is in heaven!! It was hard getting her to leave.
When we left I went in to ask for directions to another ramp, since ours was closed due to construction. Then Ammon asked the man how they got all the tractors into the building. He showed us the massive doors they open to bring them through, and how they do it.



I loved this old tractor. It was super rusted and really showed it age, but that also helped show the hard work it had done. If had run into this out at a farm, I'd had taken dozens of pictures of it!





When we left we went to the entrance ramp the guy told us about. He said it was taking him 45 minutes to get home instead of 20 at 5pm, so I thought no big deal it's 3pm we'll get on quickly. Boy was I wrong. I saw a long line of cars and thought that's the wrong lane, so I got over and ended up missing the ramp. So I decided to just make a u-turn and get on from the other directions. Miles later the line ended and I knew we had to find another route home. I knew the 80 was north of where we were and figured I could find it. My GPS kept trying to send me back where we had come from. I started going north and had a feeling that I could find my way to the 80. We ended up on a beautiful road right next to the river. There were the most beautiful parks and walking paths along the river. It made me want to stop and get out, but I was also not totally sure where we were and how long it would take to get home, so we kept going.
After driving for some time I started to recognize the area and then I saw the name of the town we were about to go through. I knew that town. I knew it because it was the town we went to for lunch after Becky's funeral. We drove right past the church where we had lunch.
Another 10 minutes and I saw what I was going towards. A ramp onto interstate 80. I knew we could find it and we did. It made me feel good knowing that my instincts were correct. It took us 40 minutes longer to get home then normal, which I'm sure was shorter then the wait at the ramp to get onto the 74.
Now I can't wait to go back on that road again to explore some of the fun things we saw, like the over look hike, the parks and the John Deere plant with a visitors center. I wonder what they have there. I'm excited to find out!

No comments: