Saturday, November 17, 2012

Girls on the Run 5k


Our sweet Corrine loves to run and she runs fast! 


Years ago we heard about a program called Girls on The Run, but you had to be in 3rd grade to join. Last year when Corrine got into 3rd grade, she signed up instantly. Our friend Kathleen was the coach at our school and Corrine feel in love with the program.
Corrine and I ran 3 5k's together last fall, and we both realized how much we both like to run. After an ankle injury at the final 5k in November, I was grounded for a few months. I got my ankle stronger and started running with her again. Then this September after signing up and getting so excited to run together I hurt my back really bad. I couldn't get up from sitting without pain for a month. It took nearly 8 weeks total to get and stay pain free. I wanted to run with Corrine, but I couldn't. I cried the day I told her that I would need to find her a new running buddy. She was sad at first, but then understood.
I asked a few friends if they could run with her and the happiest, brightest smiling friend Jolynn said she would love to run with her. Corrine would see her at church and was getting excited to run with her. At the practice 5k Corrine finished with a huge smile on her face thanks in large part to Jolynn. The next few weeks every time Joylnn saw her she'd talk to her about the race and how excited she was for it. Corrine was getting more excited every time they talked.

This morning Corrine got up to get ready and said she was nervous, but ready to run. Jolynn came to get her and off they went to the race.


The next time we saw her she was running with a group of friends-Kara Hartley, Grace & Amy Goodman and Jolynn and she had the BIGGEST smile on her face. All nervousness of running was gone.

She was in her element!

The race started right out of the tennis building. They went down the road and right into the Ashton Cross Country course. We weren't exactly sure where they were running and we didn't want to miss her finishing, so we hung out at the finish line.
 While we waited the kids played on some rocks with Grandpa Smith. The only picture I have of Rebecca from today is her holding onto Grandpa's leg.

At 32 minutes into the race, Corrine and Jolynn came around the corner heading to the finish line. Corrine looked comfortable and relaxed. She saw the finish and she turned on her final burners and sprinter to the finish line.



Some stats from the race:
Corrine & Joylnn finished in 32:01 minutes.
They were the 107th and 108th runners to finish.
They had a 10:20 mile pace.
Corrine was the 27th in her age group of under 10.
Jolynn was 8th in her age division.
There were a total of 671 runners.




Corrine had such a great time today and was surrounded by so many wonderful women. She's already told me that she wants Jolynn, Kara and mom to be her running buddies next spring!!!

1 comment:

Malerie said...

So fun! Way to go, Corinne!