Saturday, March 6, 2010

Skating

Tonight we met up with 2 other families from MOMS Club to skate at the Downtown Recreation Center. This was the kids 1st time skating. (I don't count the plastic Fischer Price one's they've used a handful of times in the driveway as skating.)

Before we went the kids were talking about how they were going to have speed skating races, and talked about who would win.


The kids are very into their helmets and they decided to bring them. I got lots of comments on them and how other parents thought it was a great idea. I'm so glad that our kids like to wear their helmets. We stared them wearing them as soon as they started riding the big wheel and they wear them for bike riding, scooters and skiing even when other kids aren't.

The kids found out real quickly how hard it is to skate and speed skating wasn't even attempted!!


Corrine was able to move around with very few falls. She concentrated very hard on staying up and went slowly


Simeon on the other hand tried to go faster then he was ready to go and fell ALOT. He kept landing on his elbows and was getting really sore.


Ammon held onto my hands and many times would have me hold all of his weight. We found the best way to skate was for me to hold Ammon's hand and have him skate behind me.

All the kids had a fun time and asked to go back. Every Saturday evening the rec center has skating and skate rentals for free. There were alot of other people there tonight. Some of them just learning, but many of them knew what they were doing.



I loved to skate as a kid. I remember going down the drive way and into the garage. There was a lip right when you went into the garage and if it hit it with your skates, it would trip you up. I remember how much it hurt to fall on my bottom on the cement. We would take old cloth diapers and rags out of a laundry basket in the garage and put them in our pants to make the falls hurt less.

I'm sure in the morning we'll find the bruises and fell the sore muscles-but it was so worth it and we'll be going again!

3 comments:

The Jenson's said...

How fun. That's nice that they offer that for free. I would be like Ammon and hold onto someone the whole time. When we take Zach later he's gonna have to hold onto Jake.
Even though he kept falling down i'm proud of Simeon for just going for it!!

Janessa said...

What fun! We went skating there a few times. I wish we did it more often. You can't beat the price and it's a timeless kid friendly activity.

SuzyQ01 said...

It looks like you all had fun! I used to love to skate, although I think if I went now I would probably break something important LOL