Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Craning

Maybe your bored with tree updates, but to me it's been a very interesting thing to watch. Today's part had my nerves going, since a crane was taking the big pieces over our house.

This morning I got a call at 7:10 and it was Dan, the tree guy. He wondered if the crane could come today. It all depended on our neighbors nieces car. Why? The only way to get a crane into our backyard, was for the truck to park in our neighbors driveway as close to their house as possible, so the driveway needed to be open. I looked out and the car wasn't there, so I gave them the green light to come over.

I rushed out to do my errands as soon as I dropped the kids off at school so I would be home to watch. Have I mentioned before how fun it's been to watch this whole tree process.

They got to the house around 10:15 and started getting the crane ready. They looked at the pieces in the back and decided that the biggest one was going to be too unsteady the way it was, so they cut a piece off and took that with the crane first.

Then came the uneven, super heavy, super scary awkward piece. They took some time making sure that the crane could handle the weight, and watching how it spun. I thought they were first going to move the piece then put the rope around it differently, but they took it as it was. After a few tests and watching it, they decided it was secure and the crane could handle the weight, so they went for it. We watched it from the back, then ran to the front to watch it come over. It spun in circles and made me super nervous. When I heard the loud thud of it in the truck I felt better.


Next came the trunk. This they did have to pull over and redo the cord around it. I wanted to video tape a piece coming over for the kids to watch, so we watched most of this piece come over from across the street. It was amazing how little the piece looks as it's dangling high above our house, when we know how large it really is.


Rebecca really liked the 'trucks' and wanted me to take a picture of her with the truck for Ammon.


The kids asked me if I would ask Dan to not come until they were home from school so they could watch. I thought it was safest if they were at school when it happened. They were bummed to miss it, but they saw a video and felt better!


What's now left of the tree. It'll get ground up sometime this week and then we'll have a HUGE whole where the tree once stood.

1 comment:

Janessa said...

Wow! That would be very cool (and scary) to watch. I'm glad everything went well and that your house is still standing in one piece. I'll bet your back yard looks so different now.