Saturday, October 9, 2010

Lamp posts and flowers

When we bought our house 4 years ago-you could tell that the lady before us loved working in the yard. When she moved she took many plants with her leaving bare spots for us to figure out. In the front yard we had a dirt landscaping area on both sides of the sidewalk and I just couldn't keep up with so much dirt to be weeded and filled with plants, so we turned the dirt area connected to the lawn to grass, except one small circle around the lamp in the lawn. The lamp is old and run down and doesn't work, but I love the look of it, so we've left it.
2 summers ago I transplanted iris's around the lamp post and they grew beautiful and full this past summer. Along with the iris's we had a vine growing. I took twine and tied it to the lamp post to encourage upward growth. Growth did I somehow encourage, because the vine took off and grew like crazy. Before our trip this summer I started thinking that maybe the vine was just that-a green vine, and that it wouldn't have the beautiful blooms I so hoped it would.
When we got back from our trip the vine had morphed into a shaggy looking mass all over the lamp post. I was now determined to get this shaggy looking thing down as soon as I could. I looked awful! With getting back from our trip I was busy getting back into life and the vine got neglected.
Then one day I saw a white flower. Then another and another. Each of the fuzzy/shaggy looking spots were flowers blossoms. My vine was going to flower-and flower ALOT.
After a few weeks the vine was in full blossom, and the butterflies loved it. We had monarch butterflies in our yard all day long. Some would even land on us or the kids toys as they played with them. It was so neat to see the butterflies and the beautiful flowers this summer.



I have to be honest I don't have the slight idea what the vine is or called and if it really is a true flowering vine or a weed vine that flowers to trick you into thinking it's a real flowering vine. I just know that it was so beautiful and I can't wait to encourage it to grow back up the vine next summer.

1 comment:

Janessa said...

What a wonderful beautiful surprise. I'm glad they survived long enough to show you what they really were. You got some really great pictures!