Thursday, December 4, 2008

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree

As tradition in our house we go to Barnes Tree farm just south of Iowa City and cut down our Christmas tree. This year we went the earliest (Nov 29th) we have even gone because it was the only Saturday we could go until Christmas. It was a warmer day (30-40 degrees) and there was NO snow!
The kids found the cutest tree, only about as tall as Simeon. Ammon wouldn't walk away from it, and said over and over "We have to get this one! I don't want another one." Once I told him that it was too small for Santa to leave any presents under it, he said "OK" and came with us to find a bigger tree.

We found the perfect tree, Johann cut it down and Simeon trimmed up the lower branches.


For the past few weeks Simeon has been asking "can we go to the place where we get our tree that they have cookies and candy canes and hot apple cider?" I'm glad that the kids have good memories of getting a tree, and look forward to it. So of course we got a cookie and candy cane each and warmed up with some hot apple cider before heading home.
When we got home Corrine was ready to get the tree in the house right then. She was trying as hard as she could to climb up to the tree on the van to get it down herself.


We set the tree up and put the lights on, while Johann finished the outside lights.


The kids wanted to decorate it right then, but we ran out of time. We also ran out of time Sunday night with home teaching and bedtime. So finally Monday night for family home evening, we decorated our tree. Here are some of our favorite decorations.


Ammon LOVES having the lights lit at night and the room lights off. We are having a struggle with him plugging the lights in by himself. Last night I went into the front room to find that over half the decorations were on the ground. When I asked the kids who took them off, all 3 of them told me "I don't know. I didn't do it."

2 comments:

Hubers said...

Uh-oh! Your Christmas tree looks great, even without decorations!
Merry Christmas!

Janessa said...

What a fun tradition. In theory I would love to go get a real tree but those fake trees are just so darn convienient and easy to clean up. Am I depriving my kids? I love the mystery of the falling ornaments.