Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Goo and blowing up ballons

I'm in charge of Girl Scouts tomorrow and I'm doing science experiments. I wanted to make sure that they would work as I wanted them to, so my science experiment helper Ammon and I did 2 of them this afternoon.

We 1st did the 'blowing balloons up' experiment.


To do this we put 1/2 cup vinegar into a small soda bottle. You then put 2 TBS of baking soda into a balloon. Put the mouth of the balloon over the neck of the bottle without dumping the baking soda into the bottle. Hold the balloon straight up letting the baking soda go into the bottle. The reaction of the vinegar and baking soda makes a gas that blows the balloon up.
Ammon wasn't sure what was going to happen the first time and was a little worried that the balloon might blow up on him. He loved it so much we needed to do the experiment again with a 2nd balloon.

Next we made Goo, or glop, or whatever name you call it. I asked him what color he wanted it to be. He of course said green, so I got out the food coloring and gave it to him to put in the bowl. There wasn't much left so I let him put it all in.
To make the goo you mix 1/2 cup corn starch with 1/4 cup water. Mix it together and you have a solid or is it a liquid? It's both depending on what your doing with it.




Ammon absolutely LOVED the goo!! He was singing how much he loved it. He covered his hands with it over and over again. When we went to wash it off his hands we discovered the error of our way. That much green food coloring stains your skin! YIKES!!! Ammon had leprechaun hands. I decided since I was doing these experiments hours before fine arts night that I better NOT use food coloring so we didn't have 10 girls with colored hands singing on stage!

Ammon and I decided that we should do more science projects together because we had so much fun today!

1 comment:

www.gallamorewest.com said...

You're such a fun mom!! I'm going to have to do the balloon blowing up with the boys. They would looove it! They like the goo too. I gave it to them in the bath tub so I didn't have to clean up anywhere else!