Saturday, March 26, 2011

Saturday's Marathon

Today was one of those Saturdays where you could use an extra hand or two, or maybe an extra driver to get everyone where they need to be on time, but it's tax season, or better know as: single wife season. I thought it'd be fun to document the day so I can look back when they're teenagers and even busier and remember how easy this day was, or maybe I'll look back and think how crazy I was! Either way it's long post and probably boring-read at your own risk!

We started the day early. Simeon had his last indoor batting practice today at the most boring warehouse turned batting cage at Pleasant Valley nursery a few miles south of town. Boring because there is NOTHING to do while he's inside for 45 minutes since it's been winter and cold. Today it was high 20's with a strong breeze. We can go inside the building and the kids can climb on a dump truck, but the thought of a kid falling onto the cement in the oil smelling warehouse and Corrine freaking out at every movement because there is a cat and she is NOT a cat lover, while I make sure Rebecca doesn't fall or touch something she shouldn't, while a handful of boys are swinging bats around. We'll stay in the van! Luckily for us we have satellite tv and dvd's in the van to keep us occupied. Today we were watching Phineas and Ferb. Candace was complaining like normal to her mom about what her brothers were doing. Her mom said "I know Candace. They're just trying to show you how to have fun and to have joy in the journey." I so needed that message to start off this morning.



Then we headed to the University Hospital where we dropped Corrine and Ammon off at the Brother and Sister Club. The hospital puts this group on each momnh during the school year. It's for any child who has a sibling treated at the hospital. Corrine and Ammon LOVE going. Today the exploded their feelings, and loved it. Diet Coke and Mentos helped with that explosion! They always come home with crafts and a prize. Today was lots of talking about feelings so they made feeling pillow cases. Ammon got silly bands on top of his prize today-Toys Story 3 games.



While they were at the hospital Simeon, Rebecca and I went to Hills bank to see what else-baby animals. We got to pet 2 grey hounds dogs which were the calmest dogs I've ever seen in my life! Then we headed over to the baby chicks. Rebecca and I made 3 trips to the bank closer to us to see the chicks this week, so being able to pet one just sealed the deal with her. She LOVES baby chicks. While she was petting the baby chick and I was taking her picture a man was holding an iguana just inches away from her face. If she had turned, she would have met the iguana eye to eye real quick! Luckily for us when we did meet the iguana she liked it and pet it. We also saw a frog, snake, 2 lizards, a sheep and a calf.



We left there and headed to the mall to say hi the the horses (carousel) which we rode last night out here while Simeon was at baseball practice, (at another indoor facility that doesn't have room for 3 kids to play without getting hit by a ball for 1 1/2 hours) and Rebecca despite being scared stayed on her horse next to Ammon on the Dragon the whole ride. We did a quick run through Target to get a wish list for Simeon's 10th birthday coming up too soon. He followed miss independent Rebecca around who had to walk through the store and Simeon thought that would be a great idea. I think he realized real quick why I didn't want her out of the cart. She touches everything and gets stuck at everything and you move 2 inches an hour! Then we had lunch at Subway for boy and me and Taco Bell for girl. After we tried to go to Walmart so I could get new sunglasses because I am one of the worst squinter in the world and the 24 hours I'd gone since misplacing my sunglasses was driving me crazy and I HAD to get new ones. Targets were too expensive for me, but Rebecca feel alseep so we drove to City Park to see the ducks because we were 20 minutes early to pick Corrine and Ammon up.

Rebecca on her horse last night.


Simeon babysat sleeping Rebecca in the van while I went in to get Corrine and Ammon. They weren't ready so it took 20 minutes to get them.
When I got back to the van Simeon said "Do you notice anything different?" He had lost his tooth in the 20 minutes I was in the hospital getting the others.

At this point I should have been taking Simeon to the bowling alley for a birthday party, but he couldn't because of later plans, and so sweetly understood why he had to miss out on the party.

We went home, Corrine and Ammon cut up her playdoh from sibling group into bite size pieces, I wrapped the birthday present fo Olivia and Corrine got packed. We took Corrine to Olivia's sleepover (or late nighter for Corrine). They got manicures and pedicures, made pizza and watched a movie before 4 giggling girls delivered Corrine home at 10pm. She had a blast and has the coolest looking fingernails and toes.





Then I drove home and got 3 kids and myself into church clothes while asking Simeon to go over his talk. Yes talk. Simeon's friend Connor was getting baptized. Johann was baptizing him (he also baptized his little sister Haley 3 weeks ago and Corrine the week earlier.) and Simeon was giving a talk on the Holy Ghost. I heard the talk from the hallway because Rebecca was in a dad mood and dad couldn't hold her and Ammon was being a pickle and sitting still wasn't on his to-do list. I ended up watching another moms kids in the nursery so she could lead the music and her not wanting to sit quietly kids could move around with my kids doing the same thing. We then headed over to their house for dinner.



We came home and I left for a Young Women dinner then broadcast. We had 6 of our 7 girls there, with 5 moms and 3 leaders!! On our table sat a jelly bean boot. The theme for Girls camp this year, which I will be going to, is Boot Camp. Building on our testimonies. (I'm pretty sure that's what it is.) I'm so excited to go, but I hear it's way different from when I went so many years ago. And just fyi-Simeon and I will be in the same small town at camp at the same time. Him at oncology, me at girls camp.

I came home and crawled into bed with my cuddling girl Rebecca. We watched a little tv and she fell asleep cuddled right next to me.

Corrine came to do the door with her 4 giggling friends at 10:00 and she joined us in bed for a while to tell me about the party.

1 comment:

Janessa said...

Wow! Makes me tired just reading all that. You are one amazing mom! I was recently talking to my mom about this busy crazy stage of life with a lot of young children. She summed up this stage of life very well when she said, "It's the hardest thing I've ever loved doing."