Thursday, March 31, 2011

Battleship

Battleship is one of Ammon's favorite games, but it's such a long game and we never seem to get to the end before we get bored. So today when he asked to play it I knew I had to figure out a way to make the game go quicker while getting more ships sunk. I told him we were going to write down 5 coordinates each and check those then switch turns. We also had towels to cover up our ships, so if we needed to look at eachothers boards we wouldn't see where their ships were.



It worked! The game went quicker and was actually more fun. Ammon would tell me 5 coordinates he thought my ships were at, I'd look them up and tell him hit or miss. I also mark on my board all the cooridnates he asks, (even though he does this on his board-just in case) so he doesn't waste a guess asking about the same place twice. Then I'd call out 5 cooridinates for him to look up.


After a few turns, Ammon asked when it would be his turn to write down. I guess I forgot to ask if he'd like to write down his guesses. It was so sweet to see his guesses in the book. If he wrote something backwards, he'd have to re-write it.
We needed to take Simeon to baseball practice in the middle of our game, and when we came back, Ammon wanted to move onto something else. In the end we tied. We both sunk 2 ships and had 2 hits on another ship.


I can't wait until the next time Ammon asks to play battleship. I'll gladly say yes and go get the notebook and pencil!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Battleship is one of my most favorite games and over the years we have lost almost all the pieces. This post reminds me that I wanted to re-buy that game and start playing it again. Cute post.

Janessa said...

We've had the same experience with battleship just taking too long for little ones. That's a great way to speed things up though. I love the added writing practice it gives them too. Thanks for sharing!